Skip to main content

I used to be a chef...

Yes, in my previous life I used to be a chef and I worked on many different high standard restaurants.  The reason I quit doing that was that all the long days and nights caused me a burnout. I couldn't stand cooking, I didn't even like eating the stuff anymore.

These days I mainly cook at home, for me, my wife, friends and family, and kind of enjoy doing it again. We tend to eat as healthy as possible, mostly, and avoid things we know are directly unhealthy. I guess most of us humans who can afford it do so, most of the times, these days. One thing that is completely banned in our house now is sugar. We all tend to eat way too much of the stuff, it is hidden everywhere you look; sauces, dressings, all the canned products and almost all of the stuff you have for your breakfast... Everywhere. Living a normal life gives you more than the share of sugar your body need.

Back in those days when I was a chef, however, we did not so much care about all these different problems people seem to have today; all the allergies, diabetes and so forth. Diabetes, in particular, seem to be a big and growing problem now. Many of my friends and relatives suffer from different stages of diabetes and they all have serious trouble of finding good things to eat.

When I cook at home I have good help of internet in finding recipes, but it is not always possible to get on the net. To my help I found this excellent book that always can give me some inspiration for "the meal of the day", even when I can't get online, called "Delicious - The Ultimate Diabetic Cookbook" by Alice Freeman. In it there's over 360 different and easy to prepare recipes for diabetics, that I then can alternate as I wish. Very helpful when you run out of ideas!

Perhaps you might want to have a look at it.


 Delicious - The ultimate cookbook for diabetics

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee can reduce your risk of early death

Yes, one minute you die from it the next is it healthy. We all know how this goes, it all depend on who do the study, and why, it seem. However, a new study made by European Society of Cardiology and involving close to 20,000 individuals, and published late last year, people who consumed at least four cups of coffee daily had a 64% lower risk of early death compared to those never or rarely consumed coffee. Coffee has also been shown to reduce the risk of many diseases, including type 2 diabetes, liver disease, colorectal cancer, Alzheimer's and skin cancer, too. Coffee is loaded with antioxidants, many are naturally occurring antioxidants found in the coffee bean, while others are created during the roasting process. It's these compounds that science links with positive effects in reducing the risk of several diseases. So, there we go. Think it's time for a good cup of Java!

Homemade wine making - Now I've tried it!

My Father is in to it, my brother is there, many of my friends always have the bucket bubbling... I have never before tried it myself until now! But I suppose I am hooked now too. Homemade wine making is fast becoming very popular across the world. You can make it taste the way you want, and basically use whatever you have - or like - for your base flavor. I am most definitely going to play around more whit this! First things first - how much do you want to make? I recommend at least 5 gallons (~19 liters). Why? An old truth is this: Beginning home wine makers just cannot wait to taste what they have made. In addition, 5 gallons is only 25 bottles. So you'll get the batch finished, and then you will try a bottle or 2 or 3. Then you'll wait a week and try a few more bottles. Sooner than later, pretty much sooner I noticed, it will all be gone before it has a chance to age and get really good. With 5 gallons to begin with - you just might be tempted to let a few of the...

Coffee may come with a cancer warning label in California!

Well... We all know strange things happen. All the time and all over the world. Here is one example: A preliminary decision from a California superior court judge in Los Angeles could affect thousands of coffee shops including Starbucks, 7-Eleven and even your local gas station. In the future the shops may have to put up a warning that tells customers there is a possible cancer risk linked to their morning cup of java. At the same time, anyone that is 21 and older can buy and consume marijuana when you're in California, regardless of whether you're a resident of the state or just visiting. It’s called “recreational” marijuana, to distinguish it from “medical” marijuana, which requires a doctor’s recommendation. Ok, we all know both coffee and marijuana is good for you. As long as you don't overdo the usage of the stuff, but that goes for about everything you consume, from bananas to cheese. The health benefits of coffee I wrote about back in february , have a look a...