Skip to main content

When a friend pass away


A couple of days back a good friend of mine suddenly passed away, and I still don't have a clue why. That got me, naturally, trying to find some answers to at least some of the many questions that swirl  in my head.

I found a newly, dating only a couple of weeks back, published research article in the journal PLOS ONE, claiming that a 10% increase in suicides -- nearly 2,000 additional deaths -- was recorded in the United States in the four months after actor and comedian Robin Williams took his own life in 2014. That was almost mind-blowing to read.

The "celebrity-suicide effect" -- in which copycat suicides follow that of someone famous -- has been documented in previous research, so it is a well known fact. But the amount of that kind of copycats is significantly high, way too high.

I can't say that this research helped me understanding why my friend is gone, but at least it got me thinking about something else for a while. And I know I am not alone in this situation, all the families and friends that are left behind in situations like this are often forgotten. Jenny Wright has written something called "a personal grief book" called "Back to Life", that hopefully can help someone out in times like these. It is found both as an e-book and a hard copy:

 Jenny Wright - Back to life

Jennie is the webmaster and editor of recover-from-grief.com. She is a licensed and registered critical care nurse (R.N.) with over 20 years of critical care experience and working with families in crisis and bereavement, mainly through in-hospital ethics committees and patient advocacy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee can reduce your risk of early death

Yes, one minute you die from it the next is it healthy. We all know how this goes, it all depend on who do the study, and why, it seem. However, a new study made by European Society of Cardiology and involving close to 20,000 individuals, and published late last year, people who consumed at least four cups of coffee daily had a 64% lower risk of early death compared to those never or rarely consumed coffee. Coffee has also been shown to reduce the risk of many diseases, including type 2 diabetes, liver disease, colorectal cancer, Alzheimer's and skin cancer, too. Coffee is loaded with antioxidants, many are naturally occurring antioxidants found in the coffee bean, while others are created during the roasting process. It's these compounds that science links with positive effects in reducing the risk of several diseases. So, there we go. Think it's time for a good cup of Java!

Homemade wine making - Now I've tried it!

My Father is in to it, my brother is there, many of my friends always have the bucket bubbling... I have never before tried it myself until now! But I suppose I am hooked now too. Homemade wine making is fast becoming very popular across the world. You can make it taste the way you want, and basically use whatever you have - or like - for your base flavor. I am most definitely going to play around more whit this! First things first - how much do you want to make? I recommend at least 5 gallons (~19 liters). Why? An old truth is this: Beginning home wine makers just cannot wait to taste what they have made. In addition, 5 gallons is only 25 bottles. So you'll get the batch finished, and then you will try a bottle or 2 or 3. Then you'll wait a week and try a few more bottles. Sooner than later, pretty much sooner I noticed, it will all be gone before it has a chance to age and get really good. With 5 gallons to begin with - you just might be tempted to let a few of the...

Coffee may come with a cancer warning label in California!

Well... We all know strange things happen. All the time and all over the world. Here is one example: A preliminary decision from a California superior court judge in Los Angeles could affect thousands of coffee shops including Starbucks, 7-Eleven and even your local gas station. In the future the shops may have to put up a warning that tells customers there is a possible cancer risk linked to their morning cup of java. At the same time, anyone that is 21 and older can buy and consume marijuana when you're in California, regardless of whether you're a resident of the state or just visiting. It’s called “recreational” marijuana, to distinguish it from “medical” marijuana, which requires a doctor’s recommendation. Ok, we all know both coffee and marijuana is good for you. As long as you don't overdo the usage of the stuff, but that goes for about everything you consume, from bananas to cheese. The health benefits of coffee I wrote about back in february , have a look a...